Pet owners and referring vets trust our team of surgeons to diagnose and treat your pets. With decades of combined experience and our state-of-the-art facility, we take pride in providing your pet with the latest diagnostic and surgical techniques.
We are confident that Veterinary Specialists of Birmingham are equipped to provide your pet with the best possible outcome whether the procedure is routine or more complicated.
We diagnose and treat your pet’s
orthopedic conditions including the following:
- Knee problems – Including cruciate ligament repair (ACL or anterior cruciate ligament) with tibial plateau leveling osteotomy (TPLO) and lateral suture stabilization, patellar (kneecap) luxation repair, and arthroscopic evaluation and treatment.
- Hip dysplasia – Femoral head and neck ostectomy (FHO), juvenile pubic symphysiodesis (JPS), and triple pelvic osteotomy (TPO)
- Hip luxation – Closed (non-surgical) reduction, open reduction +/- toggle-suture system stabilization, femoral head/neck excision
- Other types of joint luxation
- Elbow dysplasia – Fragmented medial coronoid process, ununited anneal process (UAP), Osteochondritis dissecans (OCD), elbow incongruency
- Fracture repair – Implementing pins, wires, bone plates/screws, external skeletal fixators
- Tendon and ligament injuries- Achilles tendon, bicipital tenosynovitis, ADL tears, patellar ligament tear/avulsion
- Angular limb deformity correction
- Arthritis – Diagnosis and management of degenerative joint disease/osteoarthritis, infectious arthritis, joint fusion/arthrodesis
Some of the more commonly performed
general and oncologic surgeries include:
- Abdominal and gastrointestinal – Including foreign body obstruction, gastric dilatation and volvulus (bloat), laparoscopic prophylactic gastropexy, intestinal tumor removal, spleen removal, hernias, trauma, infections, liver shunts, liver tumors, gallbladder obstructions, as well as laparoscopic biopsy
- Cardiovascular – Including pericardial window and patent ductus arteriosus ligation and vascular ring anomaly
- Oncologic – Including major mass removal and reconstructive surgery
- Skin and wound management – Including treatment of chronic ear infections with total ear canal ablation/bulla osteotomy, skin grafting and flaps, as well as treatment of major skin defects, lacerations, and wounds
- Urologic – Stone removal including laparoscopic-assisted and percutaneous cystotomy, kidney biopsy, urethrostomy for urethral obstruction, and subcutaneous ureteral bypass (SUB) for ureteral obstructions
- Respiratory and pulmonary – Including treatment for brachycephalic airway obstruction, laryngeal paralysis, thoracic wall trauma, lung tumors, and infections in the chest (pyothorax)
- Minimally invasive surgery including laparoscopic abdominal and thoracoscopic chest surgery
Common types of neurosurgery procedures include the following:
- Intervertebral disc disease
- Hemilaminectomy, fenestration, ventral slot
- Lumbosacral Disease (LS disease/cauda equina syndrome)
- Decompression +/- stabilization
We also offer OFA Certification for pets:
The Orthopedic Foundation for Animals is dedicated to collecting and spreading important health information as it relates to the orthopedic and genetic diseases of animals.
Veterinary Specialists of Birmingham is proud to provide OFA certification to qualifying pets. To learn more about OFA Certification and the requirements for certification, we recommend visiting their website at OFA.org.